Friday 26 October 2012

Egyptian food@ Meya Meya



I love to try new things, so was very excited to find this restaurant for Egyptian food which is just around the corner of my flat. Don't let the look deceive you as the first floor is takeaway service and the real restaurant is hidden in the basement.

I've never tried Egyptian food before so decided to order few dishes so me and my bf can have a taste of a bit of everything. We ordered the Cairo fiteer, which is a filo pastry stuffed with smoked beef, tomatoes and olives. At first glance, it looks like a pizza base. The pastry was light but I found the smoked beef and olives together make it rather salty. The next dish was a savory meat filled bread- hawawshi. Our hawawshi was filled with beef mince and green chilli. It was quite spicy but very tasty at the same time. This is my favourite dish of the meal. I don't know how this bread is served in Egypt but I doubt that it'd be served with chips and salads like at Meya Meya. The chips were McDonalds-ish, stayed crunchy till the end of our meal but the salads were clearly not fresh. But I didn't care about chips and salads as I was so happy with the hawawshi and tempted to order one more.My bf ordered the chicken tagine with potatoes. The chicken was tender and fell of the bone easily but I found it bland and lacks seasoning. However, the tomato soup base tasted very fresh. Our last dish was aubergine falafel wrap. We were too full by then so we tore the wrap and only had the falafel inside. The falafel was crunchy outside but not too dry inside, and I love its creamy cheese.

The decor is nothing special but the waitress was really friendly and attentive. Overall, I was happy with the food and definitely will pop in again for the hawawshi take away :)

Meya Meya- 13 Bell Street, NW1 5BY

No comments:

Post a Comment